We are looking for a talented legal professional to join our growing team and support Fiduchi at an exciting time in its evolution. This Associate Director level position requires a dynamic and pragmatic individual who has proven experience of working within financial services industry or similar.
Fiduchi is an equal opportunities employer and offers a competitive package for the successful applicant.
Education and Span of Competencies
Educated to degree level or equivalent in a related field of study. In addition, a Table 4 or 5 – Legal Professional qualification is essential, together with evidence of relevant PQE. Additional qualifications will be of benefit (e.g. LLB, ACA, ICSA, STEP)
Full competence in line with Associate Director grading (Level 3/4 equivalent) and will ultimately hold a sufficient understanding of the business units so that any advice or recommendations are given in the context of the overall business and take into account the different skillsets and services we provide.
An extensive knowledge of regulation and legislation relating to Trust Company Business and Fund Services Business and a thorough understanding of best practice in anti-money laundering and corporate governance.
Area of Responsibility and Type of Decision
Legal Counsel is responsible for giving accurate and timely legal advice or recommendations to the Board and Senior Management team on client or business related matters. The role will work closely with all parts of the business to ensure the Group’s interests are protected and all services and activities are delivered in accordance with the relevant laws and regulations including both the TCB and FSB Codes of Practice and Fiduchi internal policies and procedures.
Legal Counsel will engage with our Business Development teams in our three locations and will assist in the provision of preliminary structuring advice for clients and potential clients. This will include cross border estate and tax planning for complex clients across our multi-jurisdictional group.
Guidance and Discretion
The Legal Counsel will, as and when required, be available to the Executive Board to provide a legal perspective on business related matters.
They will act as a first port of call for the client facing teams when matters of a legal nature arise and will be responsible for engaging and briefing external counsel on client related matters.
Nature of Challenges
This role will include the provision of legal and technical expertise and service to meet the specific needs and expectations of Fiduchi’s clients. The role holder will demonstrate a good understanding of the unique nature of each client’s circumstances and assets and their personal value to our clients. They will deliver proportionate and reasoned advice that reflects this understanding.
It requires, demonstrative ability to evaluate and manage arising complex challenges and identify reputational and/or financial risks. This role will be responsible for delivering legal guidance on innovative and client focussed solutions promptly.
Influence on Results & Size of Impact
The success of the role is dependent upon the accuracy of the General Counsel and the development of new business and retention of existing client relationships and networks as a direct result.
Internal Relationships & External Relationships
Through demonstrative expertise and ability, become a trusted General Counsel to the board and advisor to our new clients and intermediaries. Demonstrative ability to positively influence the development of the wider business through inspired motivation. To secure co-operation from the wider business through tact and effective communication ensuring successful achievement of the departmental objectives.
Operating responsibilities and typical duties
- Proactively provide general and specific legal advice to the group on all relevant legal topics including but not limited to: the Financial Services (Jersey) Law, the Trusts (Jersey) Law 1984, the companies (Jersey 1991, the Employment (Jersey) law 2003 and the Data Protection (Jersey) Law 2018.
- Provide legal support for the board on technical or otherwise complex matters.
- Drafting, negotiating, advising on Trust, Fund and Corporate legal documents, contracts and agreements.
- Delivering technical expertise and world class service to all stakeholders.
- Oversee challenges when they arise. Take responsibility for managing these situations whilst delegating key responsibilities to trusted senior team members and supporting the delivery of innovative and client focussed solutions on a timely basis.
- Ensure you fully understand each client’s requirements, expectations and their unique sensitivities in terms of the services we provide.
- Serve as a “B” Signatory on the mandate.
- To proactively contribute a legal perspective to the overall business strategy setting process.
- To become recognised as an industry expert through publishing relevant articles on the Fiduchi website covering topical matters.
- Oversee external legal counsel and support the maintenance of effective relationships with relevant third parties (e.g JFSC, Jersey Government, Jersey Finance etc).
- Be responsible for achieving billing and chargeable hours targets for the Legal Counsel role.
- To be responsible for ensuring timesheets are completed personally or through delegates on a regular basis and ensure only billable time is recorded and appropriate narratives are used for client correspondence.
- To be responsible for continually identifying cost efficiencies within the role.
Compliance and Risk
- Manage all relevant risks in accordance with Fiduchi’s professional standards and both legal and regulatory requirements, ensuring a complete understanding and adherence to the business risk management policies and procedures and, where appropriate, be proactive in identifying, proposing and delivering improvements.
- Promptly notify the CRC of any relevant matters.
- To maintain a relevant knowledge of legal and regulatory issues affecting the fiduciary industry generally.
- To be responsible for ensuring that Fiduchi’s data protection policies and procedures are adhered to at all times within this department and the wider business.
- Identify, advise and escalate legal and regulatory risks affecting the Trust / Fund / Corporate Sector.
- To act as a first point of contact for senior team members with legal queries and to co-ordinate the support for the team.
- To deliver regular training updates on legal precedents for the Executives and Senior Management to develop the current business practice and maintain awareness of new legal developments.
- Provide a tailored range of relevant legal training to the wider group including Trust and Corporate Law, Data Protection, FS(J)L regulation and other relevant subject matter.
- Identify, deliver and support change initiatives, action items to ensure that assistance is provided to enable delivery of quality standards across the business efficiently.
- To complete all personal CPD requirements.
- Be a positive Influencer through contribution of ideas, improving motivation and improving attitudes.
Knowledge and Experience Required
- Demonstrative experience in a qualified commercial environment in a senior position within the industry.
- A broad understanding of current legislation and developments in the sector.
- Ability to motivate, lead, develop, retain and effectively manage staff of all levels.
- A strong team player who can contribute as part of the senior management team to the growth of the business.
- Significant experience of the core processes in the sector.
- A skilled communicator with credibility and professionalism to influence stakeholders.
- Strong financial management skills with proven ability to analyse and interpret financial data.
Competencies and Personal Attributes
- Customer and Client Focused - Focussing attention and efforts on clients.
- Solving Problems - Generating ideas, developing strategies and providing insight.
- Adapting approaches -Resolving conflicts, inviting feedback, embracing change.
- Business Development - Business growth.
- Driving Delivery of results - Pro-actively identifying & addressing opportunities & barriers to performance.
- Compliance and Risk - Risk identification and Management.
- Trust Technical & Administration - Applying concepts independently.
- Growing Capability - Taking responsibility, developing and retaining capability.
- Inspiring Performance - Enabling and empowering team members.
- Influencing others - Effectively and strategically influencing for success.
This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without prior notice.